Re: Improved help from minibuffer prompts

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Improved help from minibuffer prompts
Date: Tue, 04 May 2004 02:32:28 +0200

On Sun, 02 May 2004 03:52:48 +0200, Juanma Barranquero <address@hidden> wrote:

> [...] I think the only things
> left to do are deciding which face to use (I'm using a new
> help-argument-name face which inherits from font-lock-variable-face, but
> I have no real preference), and whether the argument highlighting should
> be always on, or user-configurable. Again, no preference.

What I said.

I've now installed the change so everybody can try it by h??self.
There's no direct way to deactivate it right now, but is easy enough by
setting the help-argument-name face to default.

I've been using this patch for several days and it works fine. There's a
little problem with docstrings like the one for define-key, because they
use:

 (define-key KEYMAP KEY DEF)

and, in the description below:

 or a cons (KEYMAP . CHAR), meaning use definition of CHAR in map KEYMAP

This second KEYMAP gets highlighted because it's also an argument, even
if the docstring is using KEYMAP also to define a part of another
argument (DEF, in this case). IMO, this is an ambiguity in such
docstrings and should be fixed.

                                                           /L/e/k/t/u