Re: terminal escapes in Info files?

From: Oliver Scholz
Subject: Re: terminal escapes in Info files?
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 13:52:39 +0100

address@hidden (Karl Berry) writes:

[...]
> I don't see any particular advantage to writing ^H^[bold^H^] (or <bold>
> or whatever) instead of ^[[3m, and the implementation in both info and
> M-x info gets much more complex if we introduce a layer of indirection,
> which all it really amounts to.
[...]

With all due respect, I don't see an improvement in using ANSI escape
sequences. Maybe old tty info readers would send the escape sequences
to the terminal, but you'd still need an Emacs info reader which is up
to date, anyways. Given that you have compatibility issues in either
case, I'd like to plea for a syntactical markup.

^H^[code^H^] and ^H^[example^H^] or ^H^[emph^H^] for example, if that
fits to the current info file format.

    Oliver
--
Oliver Scholz               8 Brumaire an 212 de la Révolution
Taunusstr. 25               Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité!