Re: address@hidden: `set-locale-environment' bug]

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: address@hidden: `set-locale-environment' bug]
Date: 29 Oct 2003 08:39:53 +0200

> From: Jesper Harder <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 00:52:36 +0100
>
>  (standard-display-8bit (if (eq window-system 'pc) 128 160) 255)
>
> This controls how eight-bit-control and eight-bit-graphics is
> displayed, right?

No.  window-system's value is `pc' only for the MS-DOS port of
Emacs.  On other systems, this sets up the display of characters
whose 8-bit codepoints are [160..255], i.e., the normal 8-bit region
of Latin-1 characters.

In other words, for a typical Unix or GNU system in the dk locale,
this line instructs Emacs to send the 8-bit codes of Latin-1
characters directly to the terminal, which is what I think you'd want,
since terminals in your locale generally support display of Latin-1
characters.

>  (aset standard-display-table 146 [39])
>
> I think this is a bit evil.  Lisp, TeX, C, etc. do not consider 146
> and 39 to be the same character.  Making them indistinguishable makes
> it hard to locate errors caused by the presence of \222 rather than '
> in source code.

Then undo that line in your ~/.emacs.  I think most users do want
that, though; the code is based on user experience, IIRC.  In
particular, many mail messages sadly include that character, so
displaying it as \222 would make problems elsewhere.