Re: windows-1251 language environment

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: windows-1251 language environment
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 05:24:32 -0400

      They appear to say that the components of the name are
    standardized, but the Single Unix Spec v3 (now equivalent to POSIX?)
    actually says they are implementation-defined:

POSIX has never tried to specify the locales.  But if there is a
broadly accepted de-facto standard, that's just as good for us to use
as an official standard.

    > What I said is that Emacs
    > should not *rely on* an external mechanism such as locales for
    > customization.  It should provide an Emacs-natural customize mechanism
    > *also*.

    I don't think customization based on language, territory and codeset
    is really unnatural.

1. You specify the locale with an envvar.  Emacs must provide
a way to do it with commands or user options.

2. It is ok to have a command or user option whose argument or value
is a locale name.  But there should also be a command or user option
where you specify just the language, and other things default from
that to the extent possible.  And that's what should be in the menus.