Re: RMAIL, MIME-related bug

From: Alexander Pohoyda
Subject: Re: RMAIL, MIME-related bug
Date: 20 Oct 2003 19:39:07 +0200

> > After I implemented it myself, I have found 2 more implementations
> > of quoted-printable primitives in Emacs/lisp tree.
> Where did the second implementation live?

mail/rmail.el, rmail-decode-quoted-printable function.

I'd be very thankful if you merge them. Also, could we please agree
that these functions should return the size of en/de-coded text, the
same way as their base64-... counterparts?

> > Guess why? Because "Describe function" had no idea that they are
> > already implemented and I haven't found them in Emacs Lisp
> > manual.
> Well, ok, but I find it somewhat puzzling that anybody would think
> that Emacs didn't have something as basic as qp en/decoding
> somewhere in its vast mass.

I was easily able to locate base64, thus the absence of
quoted-printable in base installation made me believe that it was
intentionally left out.

> > Would I even found them at the beginning, I would not dare to use
> > the one from Gnus, because:
> > * it belongs to different project in my eyes.
> > * gnus/qp.el requires mm-util, which I neither need nor want right
> > now.
> I think a better solution than writing yet another implementation
> would be to move gnus/qp.el to mime/qp.el, and remove the

Why not mail/qp.el instead? The mime/ directory is going to be quite
empty :-)

> > 2Lars: Only first 7 lines of the References header field are
> > highlighted in Gnus v5.9.0 and sorry, if this is already fixed.
> You mean in Message?  That's handled by font-lock, which has a
> tendency to stop highlighting extremely long lines after a certain
> point.  I'm sure it's customizable.  :-)

Indeed. Thank you! :-)

--
Alexander Pohoyda <address@hidden>
PGP Key fingerprint: 7F C9 CC 5A 75 CD 89 72  15 54 5F 62 20 23 C6 44