Re: RMAIL, MIME-related bug

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: RMAIL, MIME-related bug
Date: 20 Oct 2003 11:11:31 +0300

> Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:
> > I see one solution to these problems - to export entire mbox to the
> > file system, i.e. to save MIME parts to separate files, decode
> > base64/quoted-printable regions, convert the charset from Content-Type
> > line to Emacs encoding, add corresponding -*- coding: -*- line, and
> > save fully decoded message to a separate file.
>
> And all that just to be able to use grep?  Why not have the mail
> reader be able to do searches for you instead?

Searches done by mail reader are not effective (or I'd rather say they are
"effective" with the first letter "d", i.e. "defective" :-), because
mail reader needs to parse MIME parts and decode base64/qp regions on
every of hundreds messages, and repeat all this again on every new search.

--
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/