Re: `special' keys in keyboard macros

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: `special' keys in keyboard macros
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 16:00:59 -0400

    Maybe we can record the pre-processed keys and temporarily bind
    function-key-map and key-translation-map to nil while executing
    a macro, but that seems risky as well.

You are right that we would want to turn off processing of
function-key-map when replaying a macro, if it records the results
of function-key-map translation.

key-translation-map is a different story entirely.  It should be
handled as now: processed when executing the macro.

    Another possibility is to record commands names instead of keys.

That is possible, but I tend to think it is the wrong approach.