Re: compare-windows - synchronize points

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: compare-windows - synchronize points
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 12:42:22 -0400

    The latest code I posted 2003-08-19 has an implementation of exactly
    same idea.  It first doubles search ranges, and if differences are
    still not found, then it starts to halve a matching substring size.
    So there are no problems with finding differences anymore.  It works
    correctly in all cases I tested.

Good work!

    However, I think that the size of matching substring should be
    customizable.  I found that current default value 32 (with which a
    search is started) is optimal for most cases.  But sometimes user
    may want to start with a lesser value to get more fine-grained results.

I have nothing against having an option to customize.  My goal is,
rather, to have a default so good that few users who need to know
about it.  It looks like you have achieve that.  Congratulations.

When we get the legal papers, I will be glad to install this new
feature.