RE: cc-langs.el

From: Wedler, Christoph
Subject: RE: cc-langs.el
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 20:22:30 +0200

I fully agree with Martin to add (most of) cl to the elisp core!

Martin Stjernholm wrote:

 > Considering the complexity of many elisp applications there's clearly
 > a lack of basic utility functions in the elisp core, specifically
 > functions to operate on the built-in data types, e.g. the map, search
 > and replace functions in the CL package.

Yes, defstruct is also nice...

 > There are many severe drawbacks when every package with the need have
 > to avoid or reimplement them. Those drawbacks are so basic that I
 > don't think I have to elaborate on that.

True enough!

 > Regarding the issue that Miles Bader raised: I don't request that the
 > entire CL library is "blessed"; [...]

Sure, some cl stuff might be questionable, but what I would really like
to avoid is to have to beg for every single cl function.

I would like to see: cl is added, only the truly questionable stuff
is not included.  I.e., we will not hear "I don't think this
function is useful" as a reason why a cl function is not included.

And let's not forget: reinventing the wheel isn't fun.

- Christoph