Re: How to inhibit version control for a single command.

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: How to inhibit version control for a single command.
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 12:47:04 -0400

> In ido, I used to be able to let bind vc-master-templates to nil to
> temporarily inhibit version control for a single command (e.g. avoid
> the CVS up-to-date check when the CVS repository is accessed over a
> slow WAN link).  I have used a similar hack in connection with M-x
> grep where I don't want to have the up-to-date check just to look at
> the matching lines.

Since Emacs-21, the slow access should never happen upon find-file
(only upon vc-next-action or somesuch).  Otherwise, it's a bug and
you should report it.

> Now the vc-master-templates variable is obsolete and it's suggested to
> use vc-BACKEND-master-templates instead, but then I have to let bind
> several variables to accomplish the same effect.

The suggestion is meant for when you set the var to a non-nil value.
In your case the "replacement" is vc-handled-backends, but as mentioned
above if you need to bind it to nil, it might be due to a bug.

        Stefan