Re: cvs <-> arch mirroring scripts

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: cvs <-> arch mirroring scripts
Date: 14 Aug 2003 18:35:07 +0900

BTW, I checked in my first two changesets from arch->CVS for emacs today:

I just did `tla update' in my, then generated a CVS log message from the
arch log, e.g.:

   tla cat-log address@hidden/emacs--cvs-trunk--0--patch-14 | sed -n
'/^Standard-date:/d;/^Date:/d;/^[^:]*:.*[^ ]/p;/^$/,$p' > /tmp/,l

Then committed the whole tree:

   cvs commit -F/tmp/,l

This generates CVS log entries like this:

   ----------------------------
   revision 1.43
   date: 2003/08/14 09:05:44;  author: miles;  state: Exp;  lines: +2 -2
   Revision: emacs--cvs-trunk--0--patch-14
   Archive: address@hidden
   Creator: Miles Bader <address@hidden>
   Modified-files: ./lisp/Makefile.in
   New-patches: address@hidden/emacs--cvs-trunk--0--patch-14

   Avoid .arch-ids dirs when making autoloads
   ----------------------------

Which I think is nice, and gives you some useful info about which arch
changeset the change came from.

Note that the arch-changeset's author is included in the message, which
helps ameliorate the `single CVS checkin point' a bit.

I'm gonna try to make a script to do some of this, though at first it
will probably just abort if detects any hard things (like renames or
conflicts) and let the invoker deal with them.

The one case that I'm bit concerned about is the old standard --
ChangeLog files.  In the above changesets I actually forgot to update
the ChangeLog, so it wasn't an issue :-), but in general, I suppose it's
going to be necessary to resolve `trivial' ChangeLog conflicts
automatically.  Luckily, I think this is fairly easy -- just look for a
ChangeLog.rej file that contains only add-lines-at-the-beginning, and
translate it into text to prepend to the ChangeLog -- but I know people
have rejected such automated merging of ChangeLogs for CVS in the past;
anyone know more details?

-Miles
--
Saa, shall we dance?  (from a dance-class advertisement)