Re: "save place in file between sessions" broken ?

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: "save place in file between sessions" broken ?
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2003 01:31:21 +0100

KIRCHE Sébastien wrote:

> when i issue the command Options/Save place in file between sessions,
> (C-h l says <menu-bar> <options> <save-place>)
> I get the message "Symbol's value as variable is void: save-place" in
> minibuffer...
> The message buffer adds "toggle-save-place-globally: Symbol's value as
> variable is void: save-place"

Does anyone know if this ever worked?

AFAICS, it looks like it fails because in the menu-bar-make-toggle
macro, (custom-load-symbol 'save-place) does not load saveplace.el.
This is because (get 'save-place 'custom-loads) returns nil, because
cus-load.el has not been loaded.

The custom-load-symbol definition used to live in cus-edit.el (which
requires cus-load), but was moved to custom.el (which does not load
cus-load.el) specifically so it could be used with the menu-bar.
I think this may have broken it.

Should custom.el therefore (require 'cus-load)?