Idea for compilation mode

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Idea for compilation mode
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 18:41:52 -0400

It occurs to me that it might be an improvement to make M-x compile
parse the output as it arrives.  Currently there is a long delay in
parsing it the first time if there are many error messages, or many
error messages above point, and that can be annoying.  Parsing the
error messages as they come in would avoid the delay.

(I think that 15 years ago there was a good reason for the current
implementation, but I am not sure any more what it was.)