Re: Files in wrong subdirs of emacs/lisp?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Files in wrong subdirs of emacs/lisp?
Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 19:18:54 -0400

    > The output in question is error messages, not code.  These error
    > messages may indeed be unchanged in 6 years.

    Yeah, I know is error messages. Still I'd be surprised. I follow the GCC
    list, and changes to error messages and warnings are often hot topics.

It would be useful to find out

1. Whether the job done by that file is still necessary.
   If the answer to #1 is no, then the file is obsolete.

2. Whether the file still works.
   If the answer to #2 is no, then the file could use fixing.

3. If the answers are Yes and No, who would like
   to update the file.

    Ok. Still, I fail to grasp why you sometimes oppose adding a five-line
    function as "cruft", and at some other moment support maintaining a
    module no one is sure it's used anywhere :)

A separate file that normally isn't loaded costs very little.
Added text in an existing file makes it more complicated.
Added text in an existing preloaded file also makes the executable bigger.

    What about unused.el?

Maybe combine it with misc.el.