Re: loaddefs.el filenames as seen by `update-file-autoloads'

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: loaddefs.el filenames as seen by `update-file-autoloads'
Date: 13 May 2003 12:08:24 -0400

"Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/address@hidden> writes:

   But that means that there is no way we can reliably use on Unix
   a loaddefs.el generated on VMS.  So I think the thing we should
   do is use something like `file-name-equal' rather than string=.

good point.  hmmm, the filename "datapath" is currently:

  directory-files
  system-specific munging   ;; proposed, e.g., downcase for vms
  loaddefs.el
  string=

we can make the design more reliable by explicitly specifying the
filename to be recorded in loaddefs.el (the proper comparison operation
becomes apparent w/ a well-specified data format).  that is, follow
system-specific munging w/ "filename specification override", such as
via a local variable, or by consulting the stylized top line:

   ;;; FILENAME.el --- do something

already the file needs to be scanned for local variables, so it seems to
me that approach is best.  this would mean lisp/term/AT386.el would need
to add something like:

   ;; Local variables:
   ;; autoload-recorded-file-name: "term/AT386.el"
   ;; End:

that doesn't seem too onerous.

thi