Re: [Feature request] face property `raise'

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Feature request] face property `raise'
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 10:13:22 -0400

>        As opposed to the current behaviour (new in Emacs-21?), you cannot
>        specify individual properties with the text property `face', because
>        this is not needed: face attributes are normal "direct" text/overlay
>        properties.
>
> That would be an incompatible change.  For the sake of not breaking
> applications, let's not change this one thing.

[...]

>      a. The display property.  The options:
>
>         i. obsolete, ignore it
>
> I think that is ok.  The display property is not used in very much code.

AFAIK, the display property is used in more code than the "directly
specify face properties (rather than a face) in the `face' property".

As a matter of fact I don't know any code which uses this last trick,
so it's funny that you'd want to preserve it while at the same time
being willing to kill the `display' property.

        Stefan