Re: Implementing charset-aware X font names

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Implementing charset-aware X font names
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 21:27:43 +0900

    Kenichi> We connect charsets to font registries vis fontset.  And
    Kenichi> in the emacs-unicode version, we have enhanced it so that
    Kenichi> we can connect scripts, charsets, range of characters to
    Kenichi> multiple font specs.

Is this documented outside of source code?  (Not necessarily as a
formal spec, discussions on emacs-devel would help too.  Also, I can
read Japanese, so mule-ja would be useful if there were discussions
there.)

How does it compare to the specifier interface used by XEmacs?  XEmacs
specifiers allow a face to automatically select the correct font by
X11 font registry, but there must also be a similer mechanism for
Windows, so this must be somewhat more general than "font registry".
Also, specifiers implement both inheritance and repeated queries (eg,
you can have both "arial" and "helvetica" fonts for ascii/latin-1, and
they will be tried in a specified order, usually "last added first",
until the face can be displayed).

    Kenichi> In addtion, in emacs-unicode, we separate the concept of
    Kenichi> font encoding and font repertory, and for *-iso10646-1
    Kenichi> fonts, we checks the font contents to get the true
    Kenichi> repertory as a char table.

Ah, I'll have to ask Ben if he's handled that in the devel branch.
That sounds like a very good interface, and if possible I'd like to
use it in XEmacs too.  I assume it is exported so Lisp programs can
find out the repertoire?