Re: Cyrillic vs UTF-8

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Cyrillic vs UTF-8
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 19:40:23 +0300

> From: Simon Josefsson <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 18:12:17 +0200
>
> I think there are two problems.  Opening the file the first time
> should guess it is a utf-8 file.

IIRC, you need to make the priority of utf-8 higher for this to
happen.  Unless that's changed in the current CVS, try evaluating the
following expression:

  (prefer-coding-system 'utf-8)

before you visit a utf-8 encoded file, and see if that helps.  I think
this is because the encoding detection routines cannot distinguish
between Latin-n and utf encoding without some help.

Apologies if the current code base no longer works as I remember.