Re: Gnu Emacs way slower than XEmacs

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Gnu Emacs way slower than XEmacs
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 16:26:20 +0900

    David> P.S. If it's any consolation, GNU Emacs is *WAY* faster
    David> than XEmacs at sending mail to the SMTP server ;-)

Right.  That's because traditionally we assumed that sendmail always
worked and used an asynchronous process.  Then we started having
people use less reliable software (eg, beta versions of TMDA) and
losing mail.  So now we wait on the return code.  Perhaps this could
be tweaked a bit, or made user-configurable, but we were in a hurry to
get it right at the time; losing mail is a no-no.