Re: skeleton.el _ versus @

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: skeleton.el _ versus @
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 19:59:51 -0400

>     According to Stefan, he put it in Emacs 21.1.
>
> That isn't too long ago, so I don't think it isn't too late
> to change this back.
>
> Stefan, could you give me a brief self-contained description of the
> two behaviors, written for someone who doesn't use skeleton?

A simple skeleton could look like

       ... "(" _ ")" ...

If a region is active when executing the skeleton, it will end
up wrapping the region in parentheses. Otherwise, it will insert
"()" and point point in the middle.

Skeleton also has a special @ which pushes the corresponding position
onto a list of positions which elisp code can then use as it
sees fit (I don't actually know of any uses, so I'll let other
people describe what these are might be used for).

Before my patch, the behavior was that after insertion of
a skeleton, point would be placed at "the first occurrence of _
or at the end of the skeleton".

What my patch changed is that point after insertion of a skeleton
is now placed at "the first occurrence of _ or @
or at the end of the skeleton".

        Stefan