[Q/feature request] Quail's MAXIMUM-SHORTEST is not enough

From: Wedler, Christoph
Subject: [Q/feature request] Quail's MAXIMUM-SHORTEST is not enough
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 19:32:36 +0200

[Test using Emacs-21.2.95.1.]

Regarding argument MAXIMUM-SHORTEST of function `quail-define-package'.

Let's assume that we define a quail input method where we define
translations for "<->" and "-+".

With MAXIMUM-SHORTEST set, Emacs can translate according to the second
definition, if we type

   < - - +

but it fails to translate

   < - +

Of course, the docstring of `quail-define-package' doesn't say anything
different, but if clearly would be nice if Emacs/quail could do this.

Is anything planned in this direction?  (This is not really important,
it just would be "nice".)

- Christoph