Re: request for a new function, say, `sequence'

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: request for a new function, say, `sequence'
Date: 03 Apr 2003 12:44:46 +0900

Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> writes:
> I've just installed it in subr.el.  I implemented it as below.

The interface looks good.

How about the following implementation:

   (defun number-sequence (from &optional to)
     "Return a sequence of numbers from FROM to TO (both inclusive) as a list.
   The Nth element of the list is (+ FROM N) where N counts from zero.
   If TO is nil, it defaults to FROM.
   If TO is less than FROM, the value is nil."
     (unless to
       (setq to from))
     (let ((seq nil))
       (while (>= to from)
         (push to seq)
         (setq to (1- to)))
       seq))

> In Emacs, the word "number" includes a floating number.  Should we
> make number-sequence work also for floating numbers?

Well, it will already, as long as TO and FROM differ by an integral amount...

-Miles
--
"Though they may have different meanings, the cries of 'Yeeeee-haw!' and
 'Allahu akbar!' are, in spirit, not actually all that different."