Re: gdb-ui almosts works in NT

From: Jonathan Luntz
Subject: Re: gdb-ui almosts works in NT
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 12:28:35 -0500

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
From: Nick Roberts <address@hidden>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 22:04:00 +0100

The output from the inferior could be sent directly to the input/output buffer
but the author of this part of the code from gdba.el (Tom Lord?) used cat
because:

;; We want to use comint because it has various nifty and familiar
;; features.  We don't need a process, but comint wants one, so create
;; a dummy one.

I don't understand why is this important; perhaps someone else does.

I downloaded Emacs for NT and MinGW for the first time today and this didn't
seem to be just a problem with gdb-ui.el. `M-x gdb' from gud.el also sent the
output from the inferior to its own DOS window. Even if `gdb mytest' is run in
a DOS window (no Emacs) then the inferior outputs to its own DOS window and
does not seem able to share the window with gdb like in GNU/Linux.

Yes, I suspected that much.  Thanks for verifying.

I found something useful.  If you do the command "set new-console off" at the gdb prompt, it does not open an new dos window, and everything works properly.  It only works if you do NOT put a -fullname switch on the gdb command line.  I suppose the right solution would be to have gdba automatically execute set new-console off when it starts up (I don;t think there's a command line switch for it.)

Jon