Re: Gtk scrollbar: thumb too short

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Gtk scrollbar: thumb too short
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 15:11:18 +0200

Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden> writes:

> Kai GrossJohann wrote:
>
>    I agree that this would be confusing, but until now I thought that
>    Emacs was the only (Gtk) program which exhibited PixelStuff behavior.
>
> I indeed have trouble finding other applications that allow
> overscrolling.  But it is clear that there are people who wish that
> there were more applications that would.

OK.

> If an application with a pixel based philosophy decides to allow
> overscrolling, it is likely that it would want the scrollbar to
> behave in the way I described PixelStuff's scrollbar.

Really?  I never thought that one follows from the other.  For me,
the no-toolkit Emacs scrollbar behavior near end of buffer appears
very intuitive, and I never made a direct connection between this
behavior and the fact that the thumb changes size from time to time
even in the middle of the buffer.

I also observed thumb shrinking in *shell* buffers (when there is a
shell command producing lots of output), and I subconsciously lumped
this together with the thumb shrinking when overscrolling.

For me, the idea that (thumb size / total scrollbar size) is equal to
(visible amount of content / total buffer size) is very intuitive.
You can observe it in many situations.  It doesn't (directly) have
anything to do with the question of how to measure size.