Re: Emacs GTK scroll-bar flickering

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Emacs GTK scroll-bar flickering
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 17:12:52 -0500

    This again seems to be related to the fact that my GTK theme is very
    slow to draw -- if I switch to a more svelte theme, redisplay during
    scrolling is `normal' regardless of the setting of redisplay-dont-pause.

    I guess that even thought it seems fast enough, the theme uses enough
    CPU drawing itself that emacs gets confused and suppresses the text
    redisplay during scrolling.

What aspects of the GTK theme need to be redrawn just because
Emacs scrolls the buffer?  Perhaps too much is getting redrawn
at the GTK level; that could be a bug.