Re: Emacs-diffs Digest, Vol 4, Issue 70

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Emacs-diffs Digest, Vol 4, Issue 70
Date: 24 Mar 2003 13:41:26 +0100

>     +         * simple.el (set-mark-command): Doc fixes.
>     +         Allow pop-global-mark to be repeated with C-x C-SPC C-SPC...
>
> I think that is a bad idea.  Peculiar repetitions like this can
> be useful, but they also are prone to causing surprises.
> So we should implement them only when really really important.
> I don't think this one is important enough.
>
> Would you please take it out?

I added this to make it analogue to C-u C-SPC C-SPC ...  (which I
find is a wast improvement over the old C-u C-SPC C-u C-SPC ...
method).

The only problem with the new behaviour is if the user wants to set
the mark immediately after C-x C-SPC (I'd think that is quite rare),
but that case is not different from the situation where you would want
to set the mark immediately after doing C-u C-SPC C-SPC ...

So I really don't see why this is a bad idea, as I (and others)
actually find the difference in behaviour rather confusing, and think
the new method C-x C-SPC C-SPC... is a wast improvement over the old
C-x C-SPC C-x C-SPC... like it is for C-u C-SPC ...

In any case, I have now reverted the patch, so the old behaviour is
now the default; however, the IMO improved behaviour can still be
selected with a new user option `pop-global-mark-quick-repeat'.