Re: compilation-goto-locus, pop-up-windows, same-window-regexps

From: Alex Schroeder
Subject: Re: compilation-goto-locus, pop-up-windows, same-window-regexps
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 23:52:47 +0100

>     I used to think that C-x r w 1 (store window config in register) was
>     the way to get back easily to complex window configurations, but it
>     turned out to not work.  For one, it remembered buffer positions,
>
> Perhaps we should add a way of restoring a window configuration
> that does not restore the positions.

I don't think that is enough, because when I want a "Gnus" window,
that window might hold the group buffer, the summary buffer, an
article, or a new message I am writing.

I still think that pop-up-windows should just do what the doc-string
says:  "*Non-nil means display-buffer should make new windows."

Is there anybody that uses a nil value for pop-up-windows and likes
the way it works now (eg. sometimes the window is split after all)?
Perhaps we should investigate why people set pop-up-windows to nil,
and what their experiences are.

If people like it, I suggest we go back to my suggestion:

> Personally, I only need one new variable, and I'd probably like it for
> *all* situations: (and pop-up-windows important-pop-up-windows).  I
> would like to add such a new variable to Emacs, and use it wherever
> pop-up-windows is bound to t at the moment.

> important-pop-up-windows would default to t, setting both
> pop-up-windows and important-pop-up-windows to nil would achieve the
> behaviour I want.

If people don't like it, then we just remove the local bindings of
pop-up-windows.  Of course we'd still think carefully about every
such occasion, but we'd agree that in general pop-up-windows should
do what the doc-string says it does.

Alex.