Re: Customize Rogue

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: Customize Rogue
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 17:28:07 -0700

Per Abrahamsen <address@hidden> writes:

> David Masterson <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> John Wiegley has a tool called initsplit.el on his web-site for
>> breaking customizations into multiple files.
>
> Fine, but the user should not then try to change these values
> permanently through the Customize interface, as this will have no
> effect.  Therefore the 'saved-value' attribute *not* be set for
> these values, which was what I stated in the message you replied
> to.

There seems to be confusion about what initsplit.el does.

It is in fact possible to use M-x customize after things have been
split by initsplit.el.  What it does is let Emacs write all of the
customizations to a single custom-set-variables form in .emacs, then
it walks through that form, stripping out everything it thinks should
go elsewhere, inserting the relevant forms into those elsewhere's
along the way.

So that I still use M-x customize to customize gnus, even though I
have all of my gnus/mail/supercite/mailcrypt, etc., customizations
being saved in .gnus.el.  Add the auto-byte-compilation feature of
initsplit.el, and I've yet to run into problems.

John