Invalid read syntax hanging emacs? #!

From: Damien Elmes
Subject: Invalid read syntax hanging emacs? #!
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 12:46:20 +1100

Hi folks,

I'm not sure if this is a bug or whether I'm missing something. The behaviour
doesn't occur in emacs21.2, but does in HEAD (as of a month or two ago, and a
fresh checkout yesterday).

Run "emacs -q". Type #! into scratch, and type C-x C-e. Instead of giving an
error about invalid read syntax, emacs hangs. A couple of C-gs don't seem to
do anything, but sometimes if I switch to another window (in X), it comes
back. Repeating the procedure is usually enough to hang it without the
ability to recover.

Regards,
--
Damien Elmes