Re: Emacs-diffs Digest, Vol 3, Issue 245

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs-diffs Digest, Vol 3, Issue 245
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 20:45:07 +0200

> From: Kevin Rodgers <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 12:07:55 -0700
>
> >>From: Kevin Rodgers <address@hidden>
> >>Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 16:45:03 -0700
> >>
> >>Why not
> >>
> >>   The variable @code{smtpmail-debug-info} controls whether to print the
> >>SMTP protocol exchange in the minibuffer, and retain the entire exchange
> >>in a buffer @samp{*trace of SMTP session to @code{smtpmail-smtp-server}*}.
> >>

> > Because "smtpmail-smtp-server" is not a literal string that will
> > appear in the buffer's name.
>
> How then should one indicate that an Emacs Lisp variable is being used as a
> syntactic variable?  @address@hidden

No.  @var and @code are mutually exclusive (each one specifies a
different typeface), so the above will not do what you want.  And
@samp already specifies the same typeface as @code anyway.

If I understand what you want, I would say something like this:

  in a buffer @samp{*trace of SMTP session to @var{server}*} (where
  @var{server} is the value of the variable @code{smtpmail-smtp-server}).