Re: BUG REPORT: "delsel.el"

From: Le Wang
Subject: Re: BUG REPORT: "delsel.el"
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2003 18:08:55 -0500

Richard Stallman wrote:

>     +  (unless transient-mark-mode
>     +    (setq mark-active nil)
>     +    (run-hooks 'deactivate-mark-hook))
>
> To quote the doc string of delete-selection-mode:
>
>     When Delete Selection mode is enabled, Transient Mark mode is also
>     enabled and typed text replaces the selection if the selection is
>     active.
>
> So putting (unless transient-mark-mode ...) around that code in
> delete-active-region is equivalent to deleting it.  That can't be
> right.

It's not right.  Quoting the doc string from transient-mark-mode:

,----[ C-h f transient-mark-mode RET ]

| [...]
|
| In Transient Mark mode, when the mark is active, the region is highlighted.
| Changing the buffer "deactivates" the mark.
|
| [...]
`----

So `delete-active-region' by virtue of `transient-mark-mode' already
deactivates the region.  And as I mentioned in another post in this thread,
this patch is appropriate:

*** /usr/local/share/emacs/21.3.50/lisp/delsel.el       Mon Nov 19 01:21:11
2001
--- /tmp/buffer-content-278329Vo        Sun Mar  2 17:28:13 2003
***************
*** 75,82 ****
    (if killp
        (kill-region (point) (mark))