Re: Emacs-diffs Digest, Vol 2, Issue 49

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Emacs-diffs Digest, Vol 2, Issue 49
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 21:32:14 -0500

    Whe I started using e-mail, non-ASCII characters where not handeled well,
    so my last name was mangeled in all sorts of ways.  I just got tired
    of trying to fix this so I use just the initial.  But if there is
    a policy for this, I can change.  Is there any particular encoding
    or character set that shall be used for this?  Changelogs are in
    iso-2022-7bit.  Is that what I must use for user-full-name?

user-full-name is a Lisp string.  If you set it up as the proper
Emacs value, with multibyte characters in it, Emacs will take care
of the rest.

It doesn't matter what coding system you use to encode your .emacs file.
As long as it represents these characters right and Emacs recognizes to use it,
you should get the right results.