Re: address@hidden: RE: menu entries missing display of equivalent keybo

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: address@hidden: RE: menu entries missing display of equivalent keyboard sequence]
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 19:13:17 -0500

> The problem below is caused by the where_is_cache, which I believe you
> added.

Actually, the problem is not caused by this at all.  It's caused by another
problem: the way `nomenus' was implemented in Emacs-20 was that any binding
that had a "menu-item" shape (either old-style or new-style) was considered
as a menu binding and was thus not listed in the shortcuts.
I wanted to change that so that "Edit => Text Properties => Face => Bold"
shows the "M-g b" shortcut (even though the M-g prefix uses the HierarKey
thingy to display a "menu in the minibuffer", which relies on menu-items
as well, which is why the M-g b shortcut is missing in Emacs-20).

So now, the problem is "what is a menu binding" ?
In Emacs-21, I defined it as "a key sequence whose first key is
a symbol".  Clearly, it's pretty arbitrary as well, since as is seen
in Andrew's example, it rules out "f8 d", but it was chosen because
it correctly rules out the menu-bar bindings, the tool-bar bindings,
and the FOO-down-mouse-N popup menus bindings.

The offending lines are in keymap.c:

      /* if (nomenus && !ascii_sequence_p (this)) */
      if (nomenus && XINT (last) >= 0
          && !INTEGERP (Faref (this, make_number (0))))
        /* If no menu entries should be returned, skip over the
           keymaps bound to `menu-bar' and `tool-bar' and other
           non-ascii prefixes like `C-down-mouse-2'.  */
        continue;

-- Stefan