Re: Is it just me, or did 21.3.50 get a whole lot slower?

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Is it just me, or did 21.3.50 get a whole lot slower?
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 14:40:15 +0000

  >>> This issue is now closed.  I discovered that the implementation
  >>> of "wide-column.el" was the culprit.  It was abusing the
  >>> post-command-hook in a way that worked in 21.2, but not in 21.3.
  >>> I have referred the problem to the author.

  >> Can you tell me what the problem is?  Maybe I should fix what
  >> broke.

  Richard>     I did not take the time to track it down, nor can I
  Richard>     just yet.  I would recommend talking with the author,

  Richard> We are having a misunderstanding.  I am not talking about
  Richard> changing wide-column.el.

  Richard> You say that wide-column.el is doing something with
  Richard> post-command-hook that worked in 21.2 but not in 21.3.  Can
  Richard> you show me what it is doing?  Maybe I should change 21.3
  Richard> so that that usage works once more.

  Richard> I assume that in order to form an opinion of that usage you
  Richard> must first have seen what the usage consists of.  So I
  Richard> figure you can tell me this quickly.  Is that not so?

I'm sorry for the delay in replying to this thread, but I've been away
since Christmas.

All wide-column is supposed to do, by default, is switch the cursor
colour when the cursor is based 80 columns. In addition it calls some
functions when the buffer is changed, to fake buffer local cursor
colour.

I haven't tried 21.3 yet. Is this a CVS version rather than pretest?
Or did I miss an announcement in the flurry of christmas spam?

Phil