Re: Texinfo/info: scrolling images

From: Karl Eichwalder
Subject: Re: Texinfo/info: scrolling images
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 21:41:03 +0100

"Robert J. Chassell" <address@hidden> writes:

> Yes, the ASCII representations are often different.  In the case of
> music, I think you would want to use the `letter' notation that (if I
> remember Lilypond rightly) users type in order to input information so
> that Lilypond can create the nicely typeset output that it produces.

Yes, but the goal is to describe and document how the TeX'ed version
will look in the end; thus you want to say something as follows:

    Enter "e" "g" "e" and the score will look (that's my own
    invention--maybe, it's wrong):

    ----------
    ----------
    ----------
    -----o----
    ---o---o--

>    Enhance info in a manner that it can hold alternative
>    representations of the same contents ...
>
> If you really mean Texinfo, this feature has existed for more than a
> decade.  What is wrong with the current feature?

No, I mean the info format.  Like HTML has ALT atributes and DocBook has
<mediaobject> that can hold an object in various formats, info can do
something similar:

    On a graphical device it can display an _graphical_ image and

    -- when running Emacs/info within an xterm -- it can display the
    ASCII representation of the image.

> If you mean to enhance the GNU Emacs Info reader to provide highly
> typeset images for some viewers -- that is a good idea so long as
> sighted, non-driving viewers do not write their documentation so that
> it cannot be read by a blind person or over a very slow line (even
> though I mostly enjoy a reasonably fast connection, sometimes it is
> very, very slow).

Yes, that's what I mean.

> Info could be made more like W3M mode in Emacs 21.  W3M is a Web
> browsing mode in which you can toggle images on or off.

Exactly :)  Unfortunately, I cannot help with coding.

--
address@hidden (work) / address@hidden (home):              |
http://www.gnu.franken.de/ke/                            |      ,__o