Re: snarf up text when at query-replace from: prompt

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: snarf up text when at query-replace from: prompt
Date: 10 Jan 2003 15:25:19 +0100

"Robert J. Chassell" <address@hidden> writes:

>    However, while in isearch, if you want to use the global meaning
>    of HELP, RET HELP would always do it.
>
> No!  His proposal, which I am against, suggests (by the principle of
> `least surprise') converting RET HELP to being equivalent to `C-h k
> RET'.  Without a new keybinding, the global meaning of HELP would lack
> a keybinding.  We should stick with what we have.

As I understood Dan's proposal, he would like C-h during isearch to
tell you what options (special bindings) you have in isearch mode
[also known as context-sensitive help].

IMO, context sensitive help is a good thing, and it could be done
quite cleanly like this (examplified by isearch):

User enters isearch mode with C-s and maybe types a few characters.
Minibuffer (or really the echo-area) contains:

  ========================
  I-search: fewchars

User now enters C-h; this enlarges the minibuffer/echo area to
contain:

  C-w: copy word, C-t: toggle case, C-r: toggle regexp,
  C-s: next match, C-r: prev match, RET: quit
  I-search: fewchars

Now, if the user hits C-h again, that could work like the normal help
prefix (terminating I-search).

We can even make the first C-h wait 0.3 seconds to see if the user
enters another C-h and not show the context sensitive help in that
case.