Re: GTK question (was Re: Gtk patch version 3, part 1)

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: GTK question (was Re: Gtk patch version 3, part 1)
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2003 23:01:11 +0100

This talk of the file selector leads me to wonder - are you using the stock
GTK file selector?  If so, doesn't that mean that EFS and friends will no
longer be available?  Is that really desirable?

Are they available with the Motif/Lesstif file selector?

When I did the XEmacs GTK work, I got a lot of complaints about this, and
ended up implementing my own file selector in lisp that used the Emacs
primitives for file access, so EFS/ange-ftp/URL could hook into it.

Don't that require the ability to create widgets from inside lisp?
I guess one could write a special lisp <-> C bridge just for the
file dialog.

I plan to replace the file dialog anyway, because it does not handle
files and directorynames correctly that aren't UTF-8.  In fact, if
you start Emacs in a directory that has some Latin-1 character in
it and bring up the file dialog, the file dialog will promptly exit
with a failed assertion.  The GTK people does not think this is a bug,
"convert all your files, tools and directories to UTF-8" is their solution.

Being in Europe, using Latin-1 alot, I can't just switch to UTF-8, so
the file dialog must change.  When I come around to it, I will consider
your strategy of doing a file dialog from lisp.  Sounds like a good idea
anyway, regardles of EFS.

Just curious!

Good point to bring up,

        Jan D.