Re: Question about GC in C code.

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Question about GC in C code.
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 14:44:43 -0500

> How about if alloc.c was modified so other code could register a function
> to be called when GC occurs?  That function could then mark lisp
> objects as needed.  That way we can keep alloc.c free from knowing all
> the details of data structures, and changes to those data structures
> can be localized in just one file.  Something like this:

Usually what happens instead is that code tries to fit all the data it
needs to manipulate within a Lisp_Object data structure, so you don't
need any new mark routine, but you just need to register a few
more roots (if anything at all).

E.g. instead of using a C struct, you can use a Lisp vector.

        Stefan