Re: po.el: line up po-compat.el (gettext)

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: po.el: line up po-compat.el (gettext)
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 11:45:15 +0900 (JST)

In article <address@hidden>, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> writes:
>     Although I still don't understand why the code doesn't use
>           (coding-system-p (intern (downcase name)))

>     so as to remove the need for most of those entries (and so that it
>     can automatically support new coding systems when they are added to
>     Emacs, as long as they use the same name).

> It seems reasonable to me in principle.

In principle, yes.  But...

> Handa, is there any reason why not?

I'm not sure.  See these lines:
    ("ISO-8859-1" . iso-8859-1)
    ("ISO_8859-1" . iso-8859-1)

We can't get rid of the second line.  So, we anyway have to
maintain the list `po-content-type-charset-alist'.  Then,
the merit of using (coding-system-p ...) is not that much.

And, Karl wrote:
> Please apply the following cosmetical patch to line it up with the
> po-compat.el file coming with GNU gettext:

Doesn't this imply that there's a merit to keep those lines
the same as what po-copmat.el has?

> If you think it is correct, would you please install it?

I'd like to leave this issue to the maintainer(s) of po.el.
I don't know how *.el in gettext is maintained, thus can't
judge what is the right thing.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
address@hidden