Re: temp_echo_area_glyphs and Emacspeak

From: Mario Lang
Subject: Re: temp_echo_area_glyphs and Emacspeak
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2002 15:11:46 +0200

> The code you wrote looks correct, but this part is not needed:
>
>     +  DEFVAR_LISP ("temp-echo-area-message-hook",
> &Vtemp_echo_area_message_hook,
>     +        doc: /* Normal hook run with temp-echo-area-message
>     +as argument. */);
>     +  Vtemp_echo_area_message_hook = Qnil;
>
> Vtemp_echo_area_message_hook is not needed at all,
> because the real implementation does not use it.
> Just defvar it in Lisp.
OK, I'll do this at the beginning of next wekk.

Just one question: Where should the lisp defvar go?  I didn't
find any suitable .el file in lisp/ at first glance.

>     > How does Emacspeak find out about ordinary calls to `message'?
>     It uses defadvice.
>
> That won't work reliably--calls from within the C code won't be
> caught.  A message-hook would work more reliably.  Would you like to
> write that?

Yes, will do.  I looked at the code, and I'm a bit confused
where to call such a  message-hook actually.
At first glance, I'd say in message3 in xdisp.c, but there is also message2
and the various no_log and dolog variants.

Also, should I define message-hook also in Lisp, and if yes, where?

--
Thanks,
  Mario