Re: keymap in yank-excluded-properties

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: keymap in yank-excluded-properties
Date: 05 Sep 2002 17:00:21 +0200

"Robert J. Chassell" <address@hidden> writes:

>    address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:
>    > If you look at the version included with CVS emacs, you'll find that I
>    > actually have split off most of the rectangle support ...
>
> Good!
>
>    > Hm, shouldn't be that difficult...  Only "problem" will be that the
>    > commands and variables for the new rectangle supports still uses the cua-
>    > prefix ...
>
> Miles:
>
>    It's not hard to change the prefix.
>
> Please change the prefix.

Why is the prefix important?

Does it matter whether the function bound to S-RET is named
cua-set-rectangle-mark or set-rectangle-mark?

> I see no reason to study changes in cua, but might be interested in
> something involving rectangles.  Did someone say that the code
> highlights rectangles, but does not involve transient mark mode?  If
> so, your feature might be very nice!
>
> By putting the new rectangle supports in a cua package you are,
> effectively, hiding them.

Well, that is how it evolved ...  Basic CUA support , a little
rectangle support, more rectangle support, better CUA support,
rectangle highlighting, register support, global mark support, even
better CUA support, sign papers, split _most functionality_ into
base/rectangle/global-mark modules, install in CVS emacs.

A next step would be to make the rectangle and global mark features
completely self-contained, and then interface CUA to them.

> But if my understanding is correct, you have written a really nice feature!

Try it out for yourself:

Options->CUA-style cut and paste
S-RET
..