Re: Several serious problems

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Several serious problems
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 21:12:06 -0600 (MDT)

    >       Often it's getting even worse: Emacs proposes a
    >     "secure" encoding and when users go for it, all looks well until you
    >     want to process such a file with TeX...
    >
    > I am not really sure what that means--would you please explain?

    We discussed the issue several times (e.g. under the subject
    "lisp/ChangeLog coding system");

I did not recognize the issue because you said "a 'secure' encoding"
and that is not a term we normally use.

    Well, in the version (mid-January, maybe?) of GNU Emacs I have, when I
    tried saving a buffer with mixed ascii, latin-1, and latin-2 in it, it
    gave me an abominably long list of coding systems including mule
    internal, all the -with-esc systems, and iso-2022-jp-2.  But all of
    the characters used in the buffer are in ISO-8859-2, it's just Mule
    making false distinctions.

The current development version of Emacs enables
unify-8859-on-encoding-mode; does that solve this problem?