Re[2]: 8 bit input chars on tty broken

From: Eric M. Ludlam
Subject: Re[2]: 8 bit input chars on tty broken
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 12:47:02 -0400

>>> "Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/address@hidden> seems to think that:
>>   I got a new CVS build running a couple days ago (21.3.50.1) after
>>   running 21.1.x for quite some time.  In the transition, 8 bit input
>>   chars on a TTY lost  their meta-ness.  Thus, I press ALT-X which
>>   creates an 8 bit character, and it inserts a circle with a line
>>   through it instead of providing my favorite prompt.
>
>What happens if you do the same ALT-X in another application (like bash) ?
>What happens if you use something like Multi_key a o (which should
>insert a latin-1 å if you) or use some other non-Emacs input method
>to type a latin-1 char (in bash and in Emacs) ?
>What terminal is it ?  What are your locale setting ?

Emacs 21.1 created the M-x prompt.  Tcsh also creates the funny
characters.

>The reason you see this, is mentioned in the NEWS file:
>
>    ** The keyboard-coding-system is now automatically set based on
>    your current locale settings.  If it turns out that your terminal
>    does not support the encoding implied by your locale (for example,
>    it inserts non-ASCII chars if you hit M-i), you will need to add
>
>        (set-keyboard-coding-system nil)
>
>    to your .emacs to revert to the old behavior.
  [ ... ]

You are right.  This fixed my 8 bit meta-ness.  I did not see it when
looking through the news file as I was using search keywords such as
"8" "input" and some other terms I remember being used for this type
of thing.

My environment from the SHELL buffer has this in it (after removing
useless stuff):

TERM=dumb
TERMCAP=
COLUMNS=80
EMACS=t
HOME=/home/zappo
OSTYPE=linux
HOSTTYPE=i386-linux
SHELL=/bin/tcsh
SUPPORTED=en_US:en
LANG=en_US

It looks like SUPPORTED/LANG is possibly involved, but it seems odd
to remove support for US English to get meta back.

Thanks for the quick response.  I was putting a lot of funny
characters in my buffers.

Eric

--
          Eric Ludlam:                 address@hidden, address@hidden