Re: Buffers menu question

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Buffers menu question
Date: 26 Apr 2002 21:33:26 +0900

> Wouldn't the buffer list look prettier if the modified/read-only
> status were displayed to the left of the buffer names?  As of now, if
> the status is displayed (which is the default), the % and * mnemonics
> are not aligned.  I think if they were aligned at the left, it would
> look better.

I agree, but it's not really possible to align them properly in a
variable-width font.

For this reason, I considered modifying the lucid menu code to support
true alignment of parts of menu-items*.  While I think that probably
wouldn't be too hard, I'm not sure what the right thing to do for other
menu packages is (Lesstif & the various non-X platforms).

*Probably by doing something like making it look for magic characters
 in menu-item strings, e.g. TAB or something otherwise non-displayable.

-Miles
--
Run away!  Run away!