Re: C-l while in menu?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: C-l while in menu?
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 11:54:25 -0400

> From: Simon Josefsson <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 13:27:38 +0200 (CEST)
>
> Going through the M-* bindings, I only find I'm normally only using M-q,
> M-w, M-u, M-d, M-l, M-c, and M-x.

I use M-f, M-b, M-z, M-m, M-y, M-a, M-e, M-k, M-v, and M-i, in
addition to those you mentioned.  (Funny, I didn't realize how many
of these I use until making this list just now.)

> M-w is just because emacs cut'n'paste
> behaviour is weird compared to most other applications.  I could easily
> re-learn M-q, M-u, M-l and M-c.  M-x could probably also be changed,
> altough perhaps it is going too far.

I think most or all of these are too central to editing, for us to be
able to usurp them and tell users to relearn.  Massive changes in the
docs (tutorial and the manual, for starters) is also not something I
look forward for.

I understand and support the need for presenting a familiar UI, but I
think in this case, the price is too high.  The S-M-* suggestion sounds
much better on balance, IMHO.