Re: The minibuffer vs. Dialog Boxes (Re: Making XEmacs be more up-to-dat

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: The minibuffer vs. Dialog Boxes (Re: Making XEmacs be more up-to-date)
Date: 23 Apr 2002 16:01:45 +0900

    Eli> looking up the function in the indices of the Info manual
    Eli> associated with the function whose name you type.

Do you mean that as written, ie, functions somehow get a
'info-manual-name property (seems unlikely but possible), or do you
mean (as implied by your reference to INFOPATH) that Emacs looks in
the index of every manual on INFOPATH etc?

That would be ridiculously slow on Debian systems where it is _policy_
to gzip the info manuals.  (In fact, this is the source of regular
complaints about XEmacs: info mode is very slow to start up because
XEmacs searches all the manuals to generate the (dir) node.)

    Eli> Unless "C-h C-f" works differently in XEmacs, that is.

I'll have to look, seems likely given the difference in performance
(as C-h i d m gnus RET does work as expected, except on Debian where
they reference the GNU Emacs versions of all the manuals in the (dir)
node, and bury manuals from XEmacs under xemacs21::).