recursing through directories

From: Francesco Potorti`
Subject: recursing through directories
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 16:48:32 +0200

I am going to add a new functionality to etags (by popular request).

Until now, when a directory name was given, etags would raise an error.
I want etags to recurse through it and look for source files.

Looking at the libc functions, I think that scandir is the most useful
for this job.  Is it standard enough?  The man page says it is
conformant to bsd4.3, so I should have no problems.  The fact is that
the etags source is very conservative about systems compatibility.

Does anyone have a snippet of code as an example of usage?  Not really
necessary, but it could help.