Re: The minibuffer vs. Dialog Boxes (Re: Making XEmacs be more up-to-dat

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: The minibuffer vs. Dialog Boxes (Re: Making XEmacs be more up-to-date)
Date: 22 Apr 2002 18:00:53 +0900

Per Abrahamsen <address@hidden> writes:
> > Hm.  Another approach would be if C-h v and friends groked :link.
> > Maybe that is better.  Yes, probably.  Existing doc strings that
> > contains duplicated links in docstring and :link would need to be
> > fixed though.
>
> Yes, it has been on my list of "small projects I really ought to do"
> for some time now.

I think that's not the best solution for this problem, since there's
already enough information to make such a connection automatically in
the great majority of cases.

> A more controversial solution would be to
>
>   (defalias 'describe-variable 'customize-variable)

Yes; that would be very bad.

Customization buffers are filled with all sorts of crap that's
completely unnecessary when you just want to see a quick description of
a variable (which is about 99% of the time for me), which would distract
greatly from the actual documentation (not to mention ballooning the
size of help buffers to something absurd).

-Miles
--
I have seen the enemy, and he is us.  -- Pogo