Re: bindings reserved for users

From: PPAATT
Subject: Re: bindings reserved for users
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 16:47:37 EDT

> > > ( C-h i m emacs RET m keymaps RET )
> > > ... As a user, you can redefine any key;
> > > but it might be best to stick to key
> > > sequences that consist of `C-c'
> > > followed by a letter
> > followed by a (lowercase or uppercase) letter.
> I was confused about this issue ...

Me too.

>From context I understood this English was meant to be restricted to only
letters that happen to appear as labels of keys of an actual keyboard.
(True/false?)

Here that means QWERTYUIOP ASDFGHJKLÑ ZXCVBNMÇ.  That is, the [A-Z] of an
English keyboard plus Ñ and Ç (i.e. add English N with ~ tilde above and add
English C with , cedilla below).

By associating GNU Emacs with Massachusetts I was able to guess further that
the meaning here was the more restrictive [a-zA-Z] or [a-z], but as yet I'm
too stunningly ignorant of Emacs to know how to resolve this ambiguity over
upper/lower case myself.

As we speak, gnu.emacs.help folk at
http://groups.google.com/groups?as_usubject=Insert%20key%20should%20be
are busy explaining to me that C-h b describe-bindings is not a good way for
me to try and predict C-h k describe-key results.

Also that I can't reasonably expect a computer to know what kind of keyboard
is connected to it.

To my ignorant eye, C-h k describe-key claims like:

        overwrite-mode is on insert
        C-c C-h is undefined

appear to be lies.

I have no Insert key, and C-c C-h is the only technique I've found yet for
listing what key sequences prefixed by C-c are bound for me by default.

gnu.emacs.help folk are working to clue me in.

> http://members.aol.com/plforth/moforth/index.html
> http://members.aol.com/plforth/moforth/20020325/ofemacs.txt

I'm returning to Emacs after an eight year absence, because I need a
reasonably capable source code editor to run inside Apple OpenFirmware boot
Forth.

> an eight year absence

http://members.aol.com/plscsi/emacs/emacs-deja-vu.html

Pat LaVarre