Re: regex.c: emacs & glibc (and xemacs, and grep and ...)

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: regex.c: emacs & glibc (and xemacs, and grep and ...)
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 12:22:19 -0700 (PDT)

> From: "Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2002 12:26:41 -0400
>
> > Would you like to merge some of these versions of regex?
>
> I'll try and check out GNU grep.

Thanks.  Could you please look at the latest CVS versions:

http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/grep/grep/lib/regex.c
http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/grep/grep/lib/regex.h
http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/grep/grep/lib/posix/regex.h

Please also look at the latest sources in fileutils.  This integrates
all the changes that I know of that occur in textutils, shellutils,
and diffutils.  It is quite close to what was in glibc before the
recent major change to glibc.

ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/fetish/fileutils-4.1.8.tar.gz

libiberty has a copy of regex.c that renames all external
routines with an "x" prefix so they do not collide with the native
regex routines or with other components regex routines.  This sounds
like useful functionality, though I think it should be enabled only if
the user defines a configuration macro.  libiberty may have other
changes; I don't know.

I don't know why the GCC and GDB versions of libiberty regex differ so
greatly.  It appears to me that the GDB versions are newer, but I
suppose there could be useful changes in the GCC version too.

http://sources.redhat.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/src/libiberty/regex.c?cvsroot=src
http://sources.redhat.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/src/include/xregex.h?cvsroot=src
http://sources.redhat.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/src/include/xregex2.h?cvsroot=src

http://subversions.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/gcc/gcc/include/xregex.h
http://subversions.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/gcc/gcc/include/xregex2.h
http://subversions.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/gcc/gcc/libiberty/regex.c

There are probably other versions of regex.c floating around, but I
think these are the major ones outside Emacs and glibc 2.2.